Wednesday 19 November 2008

"LO, LO what's all this then?"

I'm playing around more than I ever have before with SCORM compliant Learning Objects with a view to embedding them in my courses.

I was involved in some LO usability testing for the European Union a few years ago when I was lucky enough to participate in the CELEBRATE project. This was a little ahead of its time, in my opinion, but now with so many companies, like Birchfield Interactive providing disks with their wares in SCORM compliant format, such resources should be becoming ubiquitous.

I don't want to pepper my courses with LOs in an indiscriminate manner, so I hope to build a structure that allows LOs to be used well in context rather than as gimmicks.

I'm in the midst of creating the ECDL course for a blended learning approach and I'm hoping to use this as the testbed for the SCORM elements prior to encouraging the use of LOs on a more widespread basis across the VLE.

I'll be using the Birchfield Interactive content covering Hardware and Software in the first instance.

No comments: