Monday 17 November 2008

I say Mah-ara, You say Ma-hara....

I'm looking at implementing E-Portfolio capability to my Moodle - it's something I've been wanting to do for a while. I'm looking at Mahara which has excellent features and it functions seamlessly with Moodle. I'm particularly interested in the 'single sign on' feature which will aid usability in school.

Until now I've not felt ready to go this route but some recent events (namely pupils deleting important files to save hard disc space) have meant that I think the time is right to use such a facility.

I still have a few things to iron out but will, I'm sure, have a pilot E-Portfolio set up as soon as I can in order to look for advantages and disadvantages before rolling it out to all users.

Just found out that my plan for a 'Year 6 Spreadsheet Day' has gone down well and this will operate within the Moodle so I need to get cracking on that in order to show that at my next meeting with the Head of ICT in the Prep Department. Course design to follow.

2 comments:

Matt Montagne said...

Drew,
We're using mahara with SSO right now as a pilot. It is working out OK. Rumor has it that mahara may be included as a standard part of moodle 2.0.

Looking forward to watching your progress, Drew.

Cheers!
Matt Montagne
Palo Alto, California USA

Anonymous said...

Hi Drew
We use a hosted Mahara service at http://www.myportfolio.ac.nz set up for tertiary sites in NZ - we pay a monthly fee for hands-off tech work and just manage our users using the mahara admin web interface. Just getting SSO sorted out over next month or so. There is an equivalent school site at http://www.myportfolio.school.nz.
What do you see as the advantages of having a portfolio site as specific to your users vs being part of a wider group on a syndicated hosted service?
Cheers
David, NMIT
twitter.com/dnsturrock